- Covers vessels up to 15m
- Operation in coastal regions – in sight of land
- Driven by outboard or inboard motors
- In fair weather
- No horsepower limitations
This three day course covers two days of theory and one day of practical boat handling including:
- Safety at sea
- VHF Radio operations
- Small powerboats and rigid inflatable boats
- Launching and recovery
- Anchors and anchoring
- Nautical terminology
- Boat handling under power
- Man overboard procedures
- Ropes and rope-work
- Basic rules of the road (collision regulations)
- Glossary of terms
How do I get my Small Powerboat & Rib Master certificate commercially endorsed?
The IYT “Master of Yachts” and the IYT “Small Powerboat & RIB Master” certificates do not require a “commercial endorsement” because they are commercial certificates.
The MCA has recognised three levels of IYT Master of Yachts Certificates and the Small Powerboat and RIB Master Certificate as being “Commercial” in their own right. They are:
- Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200 gross tons and Master for vessels < 24 m
- Master of Yachts Limited <200 gross tons
- Master of Yachts Unlimited <200 gross tons
- Small Powerboat and RIB Master
The “Yachtmaster” certificates issued by the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) are recreational certificates and currently (oct' 2018) are eligible for a commercial endorsement (only accepted in certain countries / waters) however a “commercial endorsement” is required (this may involve a requirement of further training, courses & examination(s)) if one wishes to work commercially.
Should you wish to confirm this information please contact the Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) Seafarers Standard Branch +44 (0)23 8032 9100 -Deck Department.