Crew Training Solutions are approved by the IYT to deliver the Master of Yachts (Professional) Courses & Examinations.
Our first course is set to run in December 2018 however this course only has limited spaces, please contact us asap to discuss / secure your place.
We have more courses planned for the new year and dates will be announced soon.
For the mean time, please email to request details and/or register your interest: firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the IYT Master of Yachts Unlimited Certificate? The IYT Master of Yachts Unlimited certificate is a qualification that indicates that the holder has sufficient knowledge of celestial navigation to navigate globally using a sextant and to plan, undertake and manage an ocean passage together with a comprehensive understanding of the factors involved with regards to routing and meteorology.
If you hold the master of yachts unlimited certificate you are qualified for work as:
- Master of 200 ton vessel all oceans
- Chief Mate of 500 ton vessel up to 150 nautical miles offshore
- Chief Mate of 200 ton vessel all oceans
- OOW (Officer of the Watch of a 500 ton vessel all oceans).
What are the entry level requirements?
- IYT Worldwide MOY Unlimited Programme is restricted to current holders of a valid IYT Worldwide MOY Limited Certificate.
- Note that we will also accept an MCA stamped Notice of Eligibility (NOE)
- A current physical/medical, which must include eyesight and colour blindness check.
- Prior to taking the course the candidate MUST have undertaken either two trips of 250 miles, or one trip of 500 miles out of sight of land. To cover those areas where this may be difficult, i.e. the Mediterranean or Caribbean; this out of sight of land requirement can be satisfied 20 miles or more from a shore line. It is expected that a passage plan be made for that voyage, which would subsequently be used in the course for review and debriefing purposes leading to improvements by the final theory exam.
- It is strongly preferred that the passage(s) be carried out prior to the course being taken (but that it may be done after the course with extenuating circumstances).
What does the Master of Yachts Unlimited theory course consist of?
The course consists of 6 days of astronavigation and worldwide meteorology. A thorough knowledge of all subjects covered in the IYT Master of Yachts Limited course is assumed. There will be a final written examination on the last day of the course.
- The earth and the celestial sphere
- The PZX triangle
- The sextant
- Measurement of time
- Meridian altitudes
- Sun sights
- Planet sights
- Starsight planning
- The pole star
- Moon sights
- Compass checking
- Satellite navigation systems
- Great circle sailing
- Passage planning
The IYT Master of Yachts Unlimited certificate is a qualification that indicates that the holder has sufficient knowledge of celestial navigation to navigate globally using a sextant and to plan, undertake and manage an ocean passage together with a comprehensive understanding of the factors involved with regards to routing and meteorology.
Candidates who have demonstrated the required level of understanding and expertise in the course syllabus will be awarded the IYT Master of Yachts Unlimited Certificate