MCA ICC 24m Sail, 24m Power Coastal and Inland



In the past, if you were chartering in Europe, an International Certificate of Competency (ICC) may have been sufficient proof of your ability to safely operate a boat.

However, it has recently been brought to our attention that a number of European charter companies and insurance companies will not accept an ICC as sufficient proof to command a yacht for a one week bareboat charter (power or sail). These companies are insisting that the charterer should hold an IYT International Flotilla Skipper or IYT International Bareboat Skipper, power or sail (or equivalent qualification that is on their “approved” list).

The charter companies and insurance companies do not have a comfort level handing over an expensive yacht to someone who they feel is not sufficiently qualified to command it for a weeks duration.

Some customers have had their charters cancelled because they have only held an ICC.

It is imperative that you check with your charter company in advance of your charter to make sure that you hold the required qualifications.  

The ICC is required for operators of most vessels on both inland and coastal waters in a large part of the European Union.  Candidates who successfully complete the modules required to obtain the International Bareboat Skipper may be automatically awarded the ICC. 

The ICC is a certificate confirming that an individual is competent to the level required to meet the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Inland Water Committee (UNECE IWC) Resolution 40.

The ICC issued by IYT has been approved by the British Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) and by Transport Canada so that holders of the ICC (Canadian Edition) will not require a Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) to operate a pleasure boat in Canada, provided the section on “Canadian Boating Requirements” has been completed. Holders of a current IYT ICC can “upgrade” to the Canadian Edition by completing a short course and examination. 


As you may be aware, it is now mandatory to hold a recognised International Certificate of Competency (ICC) if you wish to charter a boat in certain European countries. It is generally required for the inland and coastal waters of Mediterranean countries. In Northern Europe and Scandinavia the ICC is generally not required, but it is strongly advised to check with any European country that you wish to charter in before you leave.

The ICC is a product of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) Resolution 40. The ICC provides documentary assurance from one government to another that the holder meets the levels of competence laid down in Resolution 40.

Who May Receive An IYT ICC Based On Resolution 40?

In accordance with UNECE Resolution 40 (Revision 4), citizens and residents of countries (listed below), that are signatories to Resolution 40, will be obliged to obtain an ICC from their own national issuing authority and not from IYT (with the exception of the United Kingdom and Latvia, see below). The only exception for IYT to issue ICCs to citizens of these countries, is if the applicant can provide proof of residency* in a country not on this list. For example: an Austrian National living in Spain or Greece that can provide “proof of residency” in Spain or Greece would be allowed to receive an ICC from IYT.

*Proof of residency (examples) Utility bill (electric or gas), Property tax bill, Telephone bill, Insurance bill, IYT can issue ICCs to any other country’s citizens that are not listed below.

As of May 2016 the following countries have adopted resolution 40.

**The government of Latvia has given written permission for IYT to issue ICCs to their own nationals and residents

*** IYT has been authorised to issue ICC’s to United Kingdom Nationals for the past 16 years which are issued on behalf of the British Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA). Reference: UNECE Resolution 40 document

ICC Endorsements & Vessel Sizes

The Endorsements may be:


For those candidates taking a direct assessment in a power vessel, the length of the boat will determine the level of endorsement. This will be either up to 10 metres in length or up to 24 metres in length.